M&D Mistakes This Week

Christopher Gonzales inca_crg at ix.netcom.com
Fri May 2 11:14:31 CDT 1997

This page intentionally left blank.
Scroll down to continue.

Not to protect you from spoilers, but from shameful ideas,,,

Some Mistakes This Week

10. Having reserved M&D months ago at one of the evil twins, B&N or
Borders, I can't remember which, I don't wait for them to call, instead I
choose Barnes&Noble and I luck out when the sales clerk smiles knowingly
and pulls a copy with my name from the reserve shelf. I feel guilty it
could have been just as easy to do at a local indie. I paid too little, now
it hurts!

9. Purchase M&D the same day of visiting girlfriend for the first time in
four days. She is miffed I seem more interested in the book than sex.
Flattering her with "You're the master and don't want the slave to read,"
fails to help.

8. Read M&D on the way to work. Now it's sitting on the desk, and though I
don't pick it up, I think of nothing else.

7. I've been caught! A network consultant came in today and was the first
person to find anything significant in that my computer's name is
"Slothrop." I inform him there's a new book, bring it out and show him, we
start talking, time disappears,,, I should get commission for doing so much
word of mouth.

6. Give up showering and shaving because it takes too much time.

5. Receive a call from *Borders* letting me know my copy of M&D is in. I
can pick it up anytime. Apologies to my brother twin Gonzales for taking
his copy reserved at B&N, maybe he should have gone to Borders and got
mine, or the clerk at B&N was just pretending to have my name. The Borders
staff is polite and amused when I ask for the extra copy be taken off reserve.

4. But I swear I reserved it at Barnes&Noble and I am developing theories
as to how Borders found out. Do they swap reserve lists to compel the
buying of two copies by people too embarassed have books taken off reserve?
Or the frail incapable of remembering they already bought it? I really
think so.

3. Those twins! The day I purchase M&D, I happen across, about an hour and
five miles apart, two sets elderly twins. It's a big city, but I don't
notice this sort of thing every day.

2. Those surveyors! Because of a sudden rise in the requirements for
drainage ditches around here, they are everywhere.

1. I don't know why at this moment I make this connection, but since I
started with number ten it is expected I should end up at one, but it is
wholeheartedly true that I have taken notice of my own annoyance that
people have been tailgating me lately, not just anyone, but always a white
van, never the same white van, always a slightly different white van.

Chris