[M&D p. 22] Spoiler -- Question

davemarc davemarc at panix.com
Mon May 12 23:24:04 CDT 1997

I wrote:

> >> S is indeed the Sultan's wife, who postpones her execution by
> >> telling a helluva lot of great stories.  When I read this section,
> >> it seemed that Dog in Palm Leaf referred to a (theoretical?) dish,
> >> like Bass Wrapped in Banana Leaf--or Macaroni Italian Style and Fop
> >> Fricasee, which the LED goes on to mention.  Looking at it again, I
> >> feel the same way, but maybe there's another usage too.

I continued:

> >> Hmmm...the more I look at this, the less I'd be surprised if meats
> >> weren't cooked in palm leaves at this time.  And then there's....
> >>
> >> palmier (pahlm-YAY)  Also called *palm leaves*, this crispy delicacy
> >> is PUFF PASTRY dough that is sprinkled with granulated sugar, folded
> >> and rolled several times, then cut into thin strips.  After baking,
> >> these golden brown, caramelized pastries are served with coffee or
> >> tea or as a dessert accompaniment. (Barron's Food Lover's Companion)
> >>
> >> Maybe they can be stuffed with dog meat as a kind of hors d'oeuvre?

So yes, I see that Dog in Palm Leaf is a reference to cooking canine and
serving it up.  The LED doesn't like repeated references to the concept.

I know that people eat dogs and eat off leaves.  But at this point in the
book it's presented as a not-quite-factual thing (p 21):

***

"Hold," cautions Mason.  "I've heard they *eat* dogs out there."

"Wrap 'em in palm leaves," Dixon solemnly, "and bake 'em on the beach...?"

***

For the hell of it, I decided to do additional, associational digging and
pointed out that there's also a food called palmier, etc., etc.  Make of it
what you will.

davemarc