[M&D p. 22] Spoiler -- Question

LARSSON at VAX1.Mankato.MSUS.EDU LARSSON at VAX1.Mankato.MSUS.EDU
Tue May 13 11:40:41 CDT 1997

Dennis Grace answers Henry, et al."
"No no no.  You're all making this far too hard (of course, I'm new to this
list; mayhaps you're TRYING to make this too hard).  The palm leaf refers to
the interchange on the previous page:

        "Hold," cautions Mason.  "I've heard they *eat* dogs out there."
        "Wrap 'em in palm leaves," Dixon solemnly, "and bake 'em on the
beach...?"
        "First time you turn your back," Mason warns, "that Dog's going to
be some Savage's Luncheon.""

That's quite right!

Just to answer Henry's question, though:
"What's the deal in Romeo & Juliet about "holy
>palmers?""

Palmers were religious pilgrims who carried palm branches (ref: Palm Sunday,
etc.), but Juliet uses the term for a bit of coy lovetalk, telling Romeo
that "Hand to hand is holy palmers' kiss" (in other words, they don't have
to use lips, as he wants to).  But all this has little to do with Dog as
Delicacy!

Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)