Bruce Powe

KENNETH HOUGHTON KENNETH_HOUGHTON at dbna.com
Fri May 16 13:34:11 CDT 1997

     Interesting.  A search for Powe on the web shows him to be mostly
     related to explicating McLuhan.

     He's also listed in one sf database as writing under the pseudonym of
     "Ellis Portal," but I couldn't find him at all in the ISFDB, which is
     extensive enough to list nearly everyone who has ever published
     something in a magazine of or about sf (speaking from experience--
     though I note they're missing two of my wife's sales [both to original
     anthologies from Tor]).

     Amazon lists 8 works by Powe (none by his pseudonym), all "Back Order"
     or "Hard to Find," with one accompanied by a review vituperative
     enough to make me, at least, want to find a copy of the book.  (Then
     again, the mere concept of "avant garde poets in East Texas" is
     encouraging.)

     "This book was so hyped by its publisher that I imagined I'd be
     reading a Third Millennium, ultra-cool, cyber-hip James Joyce...or at
     the very least a thinking man's William Gibson. Instead I found the
     sophomoric maunderings of a rather precious adolescent under the
     impression that he's forging ahead through new territory, when he's
     merely churning out platitudes or recycling weary old McLuhanisms, and
     convinced that he's innovating a brave new literary form, when he's
     just cobbling together what sound like the exercises in style of
     someone who flunked a creative writing course run by unpublished avant
     garde poets in East Texas....The state of literature up in Canda must
     be in very poor shape indeed for something like theis [sic] to escape
     their editors attention."

     Sounds as if the review will at least be interesting.