M&D: Cowart article/ch.35

Terrance F. Flaherty Lycidas at worldnet.att.net
Mon Aug 16 08:32:09 CDT 1999

I don't understand the connection here, Paul. This may be due to the fact that I
don't take Heisenberg's use of  "the old concept of 'potentia'" as anything more
than a casual reference here.  In the passage quoted he states:

It introduced something standing in the middle between the idea of an event and the
 actual event, a~~ strange kind of physical reality just in the middle
 between possibility and reality.

My guess is that  Heisenberg is only alluding to Aristotle here as
analogy--oversimplified no doubt, as evidenced by the use of the term "Potentia."

Also, what happens to cause and effect if we apply Heisenberg to P's History?

I rather think that Wicks--and I think it makes perfect sense for him to do so--is
following Aristotle. Interesting that Wicks in a way, plays Aristotle (not Socrates)
in what is at moments in this text, Platonic Dialogue.

TF