My Offlist Policy (as if you cared)

Murthy Yenamandra yenamand at cs.umn.edu
Wed Sep 15 13:57:04 CDT 1999

David Morris writes:
> More than one P-lister has suggested I risk missing out on valuable
> interaction w/ a "no offlist discussion" policy, which is probably true.
> For that reason I'll try to clarify/modify my personal "policy" as I
> responded to someone earlier today:

Basic netiquette is there so that all of us don't have to worry about
what someone's personal Offlist Policy is when we email to them.  My
view is that if someone has an offlist problem with your posts, flame
them back offlist if you want to or ignore them if you don't, but there
is no reason for taking it onlist when the other person was nice enough
to keep it offlist. Whether the original post was warranted or not, the
subsequent discussion on list usually isn't.

But of course, if you want to justify yourself on-list in response to an
offlist "problem", it's a free list I guess, but I don't see any benefit
to that - we much prefer see the wolves clothed.

Murthy

Murthy Yenamandra                  mailto:yenamand at cs.umn.edu
Dept of Computer Science           University of Minnesota
"Every heart/to love will come/but like a refugee" - Leonard Cohen