pynchon-l-digest V2 #1744

Doug Millison millison at online-journalist.com
Sun Apr 1 11:15:27 CDT 2001

Whether Pynchon is or isn't the author of the letters may not be
settled for some time, if ever.  Consider, however,  that an author
who plays as many textual games as Pynchon does in his fiction, and
who has been so cagey in the statements he's made outside of his
fiction, might not be above playing a game like this. If he is the
author of these letters, and in writing them meant to play some sort
of game, of course he would deny authorship. There has been, indeed,
a behind-the-scenes dance between Pynchon and some journalists in
recent years that belies most of the received wisdom about Pynchon
and the press.

Hollander's article, "Where's Wanda? The Case of the Bag Lady and
Thomas Pynchon" (Critique, Winter 1997, Vol. 38, No. 2) is worth
reading if for no other reason than Hollander's close reading and
stylistic analysis of the Tinasky letters and detailed comparison
with Pynchon's style -- it's an illuminating and fascinating article,
which is why, I expect, Critique chose to publish it.

Hollander, referring to Michael W. Vella's statement in a Pynchon
Notes article that "Pynchon was enriched by the Dadaist and
surrealist heritage," argues that "Pynchon is now, and has always
been, and probably will ever be a practicing Dadaist. ... Indeed, if
we go back to Pynchon's youth, we find he was always something of a
hoaxer. His high school yearbook attributed to him the anonymous
farcical columns "The Voice of the Hamster" that appeared in his high
school paper. As a college student he sometimes affected costumes for
parties. ... we have yet another similarity. Pynchon and Wanda both
enjoy shocking the bourgeoisie."

It's worth reading Hollander's excellent article, of course, before
trashing his arguments by knee-jerk reflex, as so often happens in
this forum. His article does have the virtue of being published in a
respected journal, which is more than can be said for the diatribes
against him by his few-but-vocal detractors here on Pynchon-L.
--
d  o  u  g    m  i  l  l  i  s  o  n  <http://www.online-journalist.com>