Deep Diving, Democracy & the Shaman

Otto o.sell at telda.net
Sat Apr 21 09:04:01 CDT 2001

> I am committed to deep diving.
>
> But I am more committed to a democratic list.
>
> An article from Today's NY Times, I though it apt:
>

> http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/21/arts/21TAUS.html

Thanks "Jane" - it's really an interesting article which fits very well into
the current discussion as well as into some we had in the past, Conrad for
example. I wonder if Taussig is aware of Pynchon's books:

"The decay. The gloom descending. The rain dripping from the haze on the
mountain where life and death ferment in the dankness of plastic everywhere,
holy and unclean, garbage everywhere, rocks painted with the national
colors, caves with their interiors painted with the national colors, people
lying still in front of their shrines under giant trees in the stillness of
the night." (...) "In short, he concluded, the relationship between the
colonizers and the colonized was riddled with the kind of contradictions
that only something like fictocriticism was adequate to convey. "I had this
notion that the best we could be was storytellers," Mr. Taussig said."

On the other thing:

> Therefore I ask members of this list to refrain from ad
> hominem and let's try not to label people into presumed
> stereotypes, even ones like "Pynchon Scholar."

subscribed

Cyberotto