pynchon-l-digest V2 #1794

Jane Sweet lycidas2 at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 28 21:07:16 CDT 2001

Doug Millison wrote:

 I reject this interpretation, just as I reject any
interpretation that revises
> Pynchon and seeks to makes him into a defender of right wing or
> libertarian or AynRandy values -- it just won't fly.

Me too, but I don't think anyone here is stupid enough to
post such nonsense.

This has been an interesting debate.

I don't think that free trade is or has the potential to be
totalitarian.

Much as I respect serious arguments from the Left, Chomsky
for example, I don't agree that "globalization" is a fact,
as it has been defined by the Left and by Academics.

I think Greenspan has a very good handle on it, his comments
are honest, I believe he is man of integrity, not a lap dog
or puppet or mouth piece as he has been called by the
radical extremists on both ends here in the States.

Those who protest against "globalization" appear too often
to be self-designated
representatives of developing country interests.

Also, the inflammatory rhetoric is going to get young people
out fighting for human rights and against totalitarianism
when in fact they will be spilling their blood for the false
prophets and left over discontents and nihilists that spew
lies and propaganda on the internet and twist the horrors
of  history into the relative peace and prosperity of these
favorable times. The endeavor of these false prophets to
connect the current protests to the 1960s civil rights
movement is a farce.

Protests, however well intentioned, are wrong-headed.

In  particular, it is essential to note that probably the
best single action that the
industrial countries could actually take to alleviate the
terrible problem of poverty
in many developing countries would be to open, unilaterally,
markets to imports
from these countries.

Such countries need more "globalization," not less.

I will never trust the people that keep talking about Nazis
and Totalitarianism as if they are George Orwell and we are
not living in the free world.

Hoover is dead and L. Ron Hoover is out of the closet.

Me, I'm happy, hope your happy toooooooooooooooo

Now it's time to leave the capsule