mddm (3): in brute contempt for any language

Dave Monroe davidmmonroe at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 1 14:28:13 CDT 2001

On those "vacuum hemispheres," by the way, see ...

Shapin, Steven and Simon Schaffer.  Leviathan and the Air-Pump:
   Hobbes, Boyle, and the Experimental Life.  Princeton, NJ:
   Princeton UP, 1985.

http://pup.princeton.edu/titles/2353.html

Esp. Ch. 2, "Seeing and Believing: The Experimental Production of Pneumatic
Facts," pp. 22-79 ...

http://www.stanford.edu/class/history34q/readings/ShapinSchaffer/ShapinSchaffer_Seeing.html

Now THAT'S service.  Thank you, Professor Roger Hart (History, U of Texas),
you've done me no small service here.  And to think, I've not only been
carrying around actual phyical books, I've been doing my own typing as well.
  Quick illustration ...

http://www.stanford.edu/class/history34q/readings/ShapinSchaffer/AirPump.jpeg

And note as well, Experiment on a Bird with an Air Pump, by Joseph Wright of
Derby (1768) ...

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/WebMedia/Images/72/NG725/eNG725.jpg

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/cgi-bin/WebObjects.dll/CollectionPublisher.woa/wa/work?workNumber=NG725

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/collection/features/science/bird.htm

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~robodyne/inventors-world/gallguid.htm

Which I imagine might well have been the specific image which immediately
inspired Pynchon's own here.  Okay, glad I checked in, but  now must ... get
... haircut ...

--- lorentzen-nicklaus <lorentzen-nicklaus at t-online.de> wrote:

>"wrapt tightly, as within vacuum-hemispheres, lies the unspoken,-
>the concentration of terrror and death of but two afternoons ago,
>transpir'd without one word, in brute contempt for any language
>but that of winds and masses, cries and blood. impenetrable, it
>calls up questions whose awkwardness has only increas'd as the
>astronomers have come to understand there may be no way of ever
>finding the answers." (44)

By the way, my day o' publication M&D seems to have lost that fresh book
smell.  You don't want to know ...