Get them up against the wall!

Terrance lycidas2 at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 13 10:29:15 CDT 2001

So ya, thought ya
 Might like to read a P novel
 To feel that warm thrill of confusion,
 That preterit grovel
 I've got some bad news for this whole damned sick crew,
 P isn't here, his books have been banned
 And They sent this electronic paper boy along as a surrogate Man
 He's  gonna find out where you folks really stand.

"Are there any conservatives in the theatre tonight?
 Get them up against the wall!
 There's one in the spotlight, he don't look right to me,
 Get him up against the wall!
 That one's reading newspapers
And he's been watching CNN
Get them up against the wall!
 Who let all of these Bush supporters into the theater tonight?
Get them up against the wall!
 There's one smoking an expensive cigar
Sipping triple malt scotch at the end of the bar
 An ACLU lawyer with a Rolex watch
He goes to airports,  loves it when the National  Guard searches his
crotch
Get him up against the wall.
 And another defender of the fascist regime
He believes, I can tell, in the American dream
Get him up against the wall!

Doug, what you are doing is despicable.

You have deliberately reversed the history of our correspondence by
e-mail.  I can provide the e-mails if need be.  I once defended you just
as Dave Monroe is now defending you. I even wrote to all the people
(offlist, as you well know, I rarely initiate or reply to offlist
correspondence)
who were fighting you on this list and asked them to stop. When you
persisted with the holocaust denial accusations I wrote to several list
members
(including Dave Monroe) and told them that I was no longer going to
defend you because you had become indefensible. Thank god, the holocaust
denial crap stopped. But it didn't stop because you came to your senses.
It didn't stop because everyone pleaded with you to stop. It stopped
because Robert  ignored
you. But why should we now ignore your accusations (which are as
repulsive and false as your holocaust denial accusations) that people
who disagree with you are fascists?

Doug wrote:

If Terrance and rj/jbor/rjackson/? and their
> anonymous mouthpieces can use the P-list as a forum to promote the Bush
> Administration, globalization, and the rest of their political agenda, I
> figure it's OK to steer the discussion back towards the political positions
> that Pynchon clearly stakes out in his work -- too bad for them that
> Pynchon's on the progressive, anti-fascist side of the fence.

It is well known, at least to the folks who have been here for the last
three years or so, that I stand firmly on the Left. Moreover, you know
that
Robert is not  a fascist, but  progressive. His recent comments about
third world debt concur with
the opinions of the man who was just awarded the Nobel for peace.

And P tees off on
> Reagan-Bush foreign & domestic policy in Vineland, a political worldview
> that is the object of discussion in the Pynchon community, whether Terrance
> wants to discuss it or not.

Again the reversal is despicable.

Your contribution, as our electronic paper boy, has done little to
advance the discussion of Pynchon's novels.
I have provided comments, notes, analysis, participated in dialogue
on these subjects. I discussed and provided  bibliographies and
excerpts  for every Pynchon novel discussed here. I have done research
and  provided notes, excerpts, analysis from a library of books known to
be on Pynchon's shelves.

You're simply wrong. We are not fascists because we disagree with you.
For example, your absurd reading of GR and the "war economy" you claim
Bush is manufacturing is way off.  Bush is telling people to shop and
travel because he cannot stimulate the economy with war. This is not
1940. If you will sit down and write a post about VL and how it is
relative to current political fascist policies at home and abroad, I
will be the first to reply. You know what I have written about this. You
know where I stand. Stop putting everyone up against the wall.