Still reading the same old book ...

Michel Ryckx michel.ryckx at freebel.net
Tue Oct 30 16:14:53 CST 2001

Paul Nightingale wrote:

> Terrance asks why readers/critics choose to identify the narrator with the
> author (the guy with his name on the cover, recipient of royalties). With
> particular reference to the passage on p108 ("Commerce without Slavery is
> unthinkable ...").

[snipping the rest of an otherwise interesting --and polite post.  Thank you
Paul]

I for one cannot help but think that sometimes the author is speaking.  Having
reread Chapter Ten, this little phrase struck me (p. 96), the phrases following
"the Vector of Desire":

"[De Pugh] has shown an early aptitude with Figures.  God be merciful to him,
silently requests the Revd."

The second sentence is so full of sadness, I could not help but think it's kind
of a personal message from the Writer himself to someone else (the writer as a
young boy?).  It is indeed useless to find out what the personal message would
be; with this I agree with you.  But it does not fit in the nice, warm and cosy
(thank you for that word Judy) atmosphere when the orrery get lighted, some
fantasies on the new planet, a good joke by Pitt etc.  And it is the sadness in
it, as I said.

Michel.