SLSL "TSR" - climax, anti-climax

Paul Mackin paul.mackin at verizon.net
Thu Dec 5 15:13:16 CST 2002

On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 14:31, William Zantzinger wrote:

> Thanks, Paul.
>
> Still in my thirties but I have one in college, one
> getting ready to go. They are both much too
> conservative to talk revolution.

It's sure to be one thing or the other. :-) And there's sure nothing
wrong with criticizing society. Just so 20 year olds don't think they
invented it.

I sitting here trying to think what  "conservative" would have been back
in the 50s. Ayn Rand was still only long books you read on airplanes. If
you had any social ideas at all they would probably have tended toward
the progressive. For American kids progressive meant C. Wright Mills
more often than Marx or Lenin  Fidel and Che were also strong
contenders.  Talcott Parsons was a conservative sociologist I but not in
the way conservative is now.  The dream of a value free social science.

I didn't mean to imply being more interested in reading and literary
talk than street action wasn't progressive or advanced.

P.