re Re: SLSL language

Malignd malignd at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 07:34:06 CST 2003

Rob Jackson:

<<That's not quite what you were claiming, of course.
But on this point, so-called "standard" American
English is not standard across white communities
spanning the U.S. either, and it varies in the same
ways (pronunciation, word stress, sentence intonation,
vocab. etc), and probably to as great a degree, as
African American English does. As far as I can see in
this argument, the only real difference is the colour
of the skin of  the people doing the speaking.  This
is the argument that it is an "inferior" medium of
communication.  It isn't.>

The point, I think, that Charles is making is that, as
a practical matter, teaching Ebonics, with all that
entails--teachers, teacher training, texts, money--is
greatly complicated by the fact that "Ebonics" is not
the same thing from area to area, even from
neighborhood to neighborhood.  (Of course one could
standardize Ebonics and prescribe a grammar ...)