triumph of the will

S.R. Prozak prozak at post.com
Mon Mar 31 14:20:47 CST 2003

"The US administration is going to turn the whole world into people
prepared to die for their nations," he said. "All they can do now is turn
themselves into bombs. If the B-52 bombs can now kill 500 or more in our
war,
then I'm sure that some operations by our freedom fighters will be able to
kill 5,000."

It was clear what this meant; the Iraqi leadership was just as surprised
at
Nomani's attack as were his American victims.

But the Americans would do well to understand what this new development
means. Suicide bombers – whether they be the Shia Muslim Lebanese
successfully
evicting Israel's army of occupation or the Palestinians destroying
Israel's
sense of security – are the ultimate weapon of the Arabs. The US first
understood its power when suicide bombers struck the American embassy in
Beirut in 1983 and the marine barracks in Beirut on 23 October the same
year,
when 241 American servicemen died. Only when Arabs bent on a far more
devastating suicide mission launched their attacks on 11 September 2001
did
Washington finally realise that there was no effective defence against
such
tactics.

http://argument.independent.co.uk/commentators/story.jsp?story=392420