1984 Foreword: allusion

Paul Mackin paul.mackin at verizon.net
Fri May 23 12:05:33 CDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-23 at 12:31, Terrance wrote:
> Paul Mackin wrote:
>
>  The essay is after [all] about Orwell and his book, not Pynchon and
> > his personal views.
> >
> > P.
>
> Right. Not to knock Dave Monroe, but Dave is sort of attempting to
> re-read the archives now (alluding to, referring to, citing "how things
> got started predictably with Doug and the gang of what is it now, 7 or
> 9? when and we all know that this kind of revisionism has no real
> meaning here) as he complains that the debate was rigged, fixed in a
> predictable pattern of Doug & Dave against the gang. The truth is Dave
> posted the excerpts and asked us to respond to this question: WHat does
> the Foreword say about Thomas Pynchon?

Which we DID, only some of things the forward said or didn't say about
the Pincher weren't things the Gang of Two wanted to hear or even could
deal with. Which is really perverse. I'm sure P himself would have been
far more understanding.

> A beach ball over the fat part of
> the plate (or for you baseball challenged members, perhaps a penalty
> kick taken by Pele) to the kind of reading Doug excels at.
>

> PS as john falstaff said, "Dude,  I'm not only ironic and witty in
> myself, but the cause and effect that wit is in other men."

Thank the Lord Shakespeare never got in the habit of calling people
Dude.

P.