Pynchon on Simpsons

Dave Monroe monropolitan at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 8 11:32:30 CDT 2006

Like much on The Simpsons, it was a Little Something
for Those Who Know.  And, despite some press coverage,
it likely flew over the heads of many members of what
I'm guessing is one of yr more literate TV audiences
ever (cf. The Daily Show).  For me, those appearances
are followed closely by that NASA training "Gamesters
of Triskelion" sequence ("I'll wager 400 quatloos on
the newcomer") ...

http://www.snpp.com/episodes/1F13.html

... and I'm sure it was just as marginal as far as
publicity goes for Pynchon, as well.  The REAL
mpublicitry'll be when the reviews start coming out,
inevitably mentioning that it's the sixth and largest
novel by an aging and reclusive author, barred from
winning a Pulitzer Prize albeit apparently shortlisted
from time to time as a possible Nobel Laureate, known
for his sporadic, as often as not sprawling, and
notoriously eccentric to downright difficult works.
But a 1040 pg. book is hardly where most readers are
going to BEGIN reading Pynchon.  Fans and libraries'll
be the bulk of sales ...

--- Chris Broderick <elsuperfantastico at yahoo.com>