another reason to dislike Banville

jd wescac at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 11:06:49 CDT 2006

I saw Banville speak / give a reading awhile back.  Pompous doesn't
even begin to cover it.  And he gave me a pretty good glare when I had
him sign my notebook (instead of a copy of one of his books).  He very
much is trying to create some kind of classic persona that simply
isn't backed up by the writing...  The only author I've seen whose
head is possibly further up their own ass than Banville's is would be
TC Boyle, though he made up for it by being polite at least (and from
what I've read generally a bit more interesting).