Californian Sensibility

bekah bekah0176 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 23 21:00:40 CDT 2006

At 5:19 PM +0300 8/23/06, Heikki Raudaskoski wrote:
>On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, bekah wrote:
>>  Like others,  I really ought to read Slouching ...
>

>That's right. I recall vividly the descriptions of a flower
>girl arriving in the Haight and getting pimped by her drug
>dealer within 24 hours, and a 5-year-old girl being given
>acid by her parents.

There was a lot of strangeness and tragedy going on right before and
then after September ('67) or whenever they held the burial in
effigy.   Everybody who could left (including moi).   Where people
had carried the legs of mannequins now they carried real legs.
People were there for the grift and the sex and drugs instead of for
the love.   In March the Haight  had been a beautiful place, full of
SF St. College (pre U days) kids and musicians and the diggers and
underground newspapers and head shops and so forth.   Summer saw all
the kids and freaks come in and then the Haight became a very unsafe
place so the people headed elsewhere - some to college,  some to the
hills north of SF,  some to wherever else.   I went to Stockton with
friends for awhile and then back home and to college by Jan.  I have
a lot of strange memories of those days.  I was 19 years old that
summer.

Bekah