German Film, German Culture

Dave Monroe monropolitan at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 31 18:00:09 CDT 2006

Thanks, James, Chris, here's my answer so far, but
y'all know how I like to amend this things as I go, so
any/all suggestions et al. will be appreciated ...

---

I'm not sure just how revelatory, and about what,
these'll be, but they sure are great--and very--German
films (plus two macrominiseries), so ...

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (1974)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0071141/

Berlin Alexanderplatz (1980)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0080196/

Berlin: Symphony of a Great City (1927)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0317140/

The Blue Angel (1930)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0020697/

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0010323/

Effi Briest (1974)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0071458/

Heimat I - III (1982, 1992, 2004)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0087400/
http://imdb.com/title/tt0105906/
http://imdb.com/title/tt0312142/

Hitler: A Film from Germany (1978)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0076147/

Kaspar Hauser (1993)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0110246/

Mephisto (1981)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0082736/

Metropolis (1927)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0017136/

Pandora's Box (1929)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0018737/

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0018455/

The Tin Drum (1979)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0078875/

Wings of Desire (1987)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0093191/

See, e.g., ...

Elsaesser, Thomas.  New German Cinema: a History
   New Brunswick: Rutgers UP, 1989.

Kaes, Anton.  From Hitler to Heimat: The Return of
History as Film.
   Cambridge, MA: Harvard UP, 1992.

Kracauer, Siegfried.  From Caligari to Hitler: A
Psychological History
   of the German Film.  Princeton, NJ: Princeton UP,
1947.

http://www.pupress.princeton.edu/titles/1369.html

Bibliographies

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/Germanfilmbib.html

http://www.swan.ac.uk/german/cheesman/gerfilmbib.htm

And I've listed a couple/three Rainer Maria Fassbinder
films above already, but see pretty much anything by
him, I'm guessing ...

http://imdb.com/name/nm0001202/

Say, the BRD Trilogy ...

http://criterionco.com/asp/boxed_set.asp?id=203

As well as The Lost Honor of Katarina Blum, The Bitter
Tears of Petra von Kant, and so forth and so on ...

And then there's Leni Riefenstahl, but ...

http://imdb.com/name/nm0726166/

--- James Kyllo <jkyllo at gmail.com> wrote:

> From a cultural point of view - Kaspar Hauser,
> Mephisto, The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum, The
> Marriage of Maria Braun will all help....

And I did see The Comedian Harmonist as well, so ...