atd dissapointment

John Pendergast jpender at siue.edu
Fri Dec 1 13:35:41 CST 2006

"with this one, as has been my experience with any Pynchon opus, ya gotta take the good with the bad...."

It seems to me that this feeling of initial frustration and anxiety is a fundamental part of the "Pynchon aesthetic", if I may. At least it is for me; and then, after a few pages (or a hundred), almost magically, I see why it is the way it is. I think this is why I love Pynchon; as a reader he makes me feel "young again", and as a teacher of literature, he helps me to understand how less experienced readers approach literature -- first, "what the fuck", then, if they persist, "oh, I get it -- how cool."

And, in the spirit of "feeling young again," tonight I'm off to see the New York Dolls at a our local music barn.

Best,

John