Christian ideas refracted thru AtD: 1) Forgiveness (spoilers galore)

David Morris fqmorris at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 09:29:10 CST 2006

There's not a single source, and it's been a long time since I studied
the matter.  But as others have pointed out, the cross is the form
that has lived on in numerous religions, and is more interesting than
the history of Roman crucifixion.

http://www.bandoli.no/crucifiction.htm

The word in the original Greek gospel texts usually translated as
"cross" can also mean "pole" or "stake". In the Acts (of the
Apostles), Peter tells us that Jesus was hung on a tree (Acts. 10,39),
and the same St.Paul says in his letter to the Galateans (Gal. 3,13).
The Jews actually had a tradition for hanging the bodies of stoned
offenders on poles for deterring others (Freke and Gandy 1999). The
godman Dionysos was, according to some versions of his passion, was
executed on a cross or a pole. The god man Attis was often depicted
tied to a tree, and Marsyas met his end tied to a tree and skinned
alive. Depictions of a crucified Dionysos/Orpheus are also known