AtD 1066, 1076: A surprising survival (spoilers)

Tore Rye Andersen torerye at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 29 04:45:27 CST 2006

On page 1066 of AtD I ran across an old acquaintance whom I believed to be
long dead, but whom Pynchon has resurrected for us old fans, including a
wonderful bit of sly self-critique. That Tom LeClair also failed to notice
this reappearance in his review (where he said that he only recognized
Bodine from previous novels) strengthens my impression that he hasn't read
at least some of Pynchon's novels in a very long time, and that he therefore
fails to see how Pynchon indeed singles up all lines in AtD.

I've already commented on his failing to recognize the Traverses, and this
failure becomes even more strange when you consider that some of the
characters in AtD practically end up in Vineland, in a small city among
redwoods, "up in the last corner of the U.S. map," where Jesse Traverse
hands in a school essay to his teacher Mr. Becker (his future
father-in-law?). Clearly, Tom LeClair doesn't know his Pynchon inside-out,
as someone stated.