Time-sensitive SOS re talking dogs...
Dave Monroe
against.the.dave at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 12:41:26 CST 2007
On 12/2/07, David Kipen <kipend at gmail.com> wrote:
> Foax, In a mater of hours I'm about to in to my publisher, the ever-quixotic
> Melville House Books, a new translation of Cervantes' The Dialogue of the
> Dogs -- unless I decide to call it The Colloquy of the Dogs, as some others
> do. Now, at the 11th hour, I'm suddenly smitten with the idea of including
> an epigraph from TRP. Amazon pointed me to page 22 of Mason & Dixon for a
> terrifically apposite quote, but can anybody find a choice line or two about
> Pugnax in the still Amazonically unsearchable ATD? And does Pugnax ever
> speak, or just read Henry James?
I THINK this might be his longest spoken line, but ...
"'I say, Pugnax--what's that you're reading now, old fellow?'
"'Rr-Rff-rff Rr-rr-rff-rrf-rrf,' replied Pugnax without looking up,
which Darby, having like others in the crew got used to Pugnax's voice
[...] interpreted as, 'The Princess Casamassima.' (AtD, Pt. i, pp.
5-6)
http://waste.org/mail/?list=pynchon-l&month=0701&msg=114339
Will be back soonly ...
More information about the Pynchon-l
mailing list