AtD, naming

Page page at quesnelbc.com
Wed May 7 20:42:42 CDT 2008

A significant motivation for Wittgenstein was to eliminate the metaphysical, like Kant's noumena, from philosophy. He certainly was influenced by Kant--even more so in his Philosophical Investigations--but LW is a legitimate heir of Hume's empiricism. As were all the Logical Positivists, particularly the Vienna Circle. The VC was extreme in its empirical bent.

The test of meaning and truth was the Verification Principle. The meaning of a proposition was how it was verified. Only propositions that met the test of verification by experience--i.e. only propsitions of natural science--could be true. Other propositions are nonsense. Note that, as in the Tractatus, the propsitions are nonsense, not false. My quibble with Mark is that the propositions are not passed over in "a scientifically philosophical way of understanding." LW wanted to dispense with philosophy altogether--see sections 6.53 and 6.54 of the Tractatus--so the propositions Mark is writing of are passed over because of the scientific way of understanding.