AtDTDA 32: Fantasia on a Fantasia of Thomas Tallis Pt. 1

Bekah Bekah0176 at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 13 07:01:51 CDT 2008

A bit late here but I was called to assist my somewhat anti-hippie
mom (age 84) with post-surgery stuff.   She and my dad raised 6 of us
- all but one pretty liberal while they were  Rockefeller Republicans
(an old middle of the road, liberalish thing - not really available
in today's politics).

Back in 1966 I had just graduated HS out here on the left coast and
headed up to SF for the Summer of Love in 1967.  I was there only a
few months before going back to school like a good girl,  but the
experience changed me and many of my views for life.   Yes,  I'd
definitely describe myself as a hippie at that point but ex - and
old-  don't seem to fit, though - I've kept too much for the former
and not enough for the latter.  I've got stories upon stories of life
in the city and in this little town later - stories of helping CO's
get "lost,"  of marches and acid and attempts at getting "back to the
earth."  There were different sorts of hippies and being anti-war was
one thing but some were actively attempting to overthrow the
government (Catalina Island  and other urban communes in LA I knew
of) while others were heading north to the farms.  Many like myself
finished school and got married and had kids and did our thing in our
own little groups.  The "movement" dissipated after the war ended and
other issues came more to the surface.  My now late husband (Berkeley
style hippie) worked for the UN and NOAA (gov't weather) and I became
a school teacher - pretty middle class but non-violent type stuff.
We raised our kids in the ways we were comfortable and one is similar
to us in outlook politically,  the other has gone the other way.   Go
figure ...  but then - I went the other way from my folks who always
figured I was just rebelling - even at 50 years old - Bekah's the
rebel.  (lol)

Bekah

homepage.mac.com/bekker2/Menu40.html