ATDTDA (33) - pregnancy in Bulgaria or "The Emancipation of Dissonance"

David Payne dpayne1912 at hotmail.com
Sat May 31 01:05:32 CDT 2008

1908: the Tunguska event

1910: Stravinski's _Firebird Suite_

"In Russian folklore, the Firebird (жар-птица, zhar-ptitsa, literally heat bird from птица bird Old Russian жар heat) is a magical glowing bird from a faraway land, which is both a blessing and bringer of doom to its captor" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firebird_%28Russian_folklore%29).

Earlier I squeaked:

> Personally, I prefer Stravinsky, whose 1910 _Firebird_ probably felt equally alien to the Balkan traditionalist of the time (assuming, silly-ly perhaps, there were such a thing…).
>
> A more whimsical suggestion for the death of Balkan music in the "Belgin Congo" of 1910 is ... _Tamburitza! - Hot String Band Music From The Balkans To America 1910-1950_
>
> On Sat, 31 May 2008 (01:53:53 +0000), Robin (robinlandseadel at comcast.net) wrote:
>
>> Of course it's a dark vision, ever heard any Schoenberg?
>>
>> Don't forget that this thread extends into GR. I'm voting for Rossini. myself.

Rossini?!? Wha? Shades of Byron the Light Bulb?