IVIV (1) Near the Airport

Paul Mackin mackin.paul at verizon.net
Fri Aug 28 21:24:45 CDT 2009

Keith wrote:
> On Aug 28, 2009, at 3:28 PM, Paul Mackin wrote:
>
> Did a double take when I read  EAST Imperial 'cause obviously it's
> West Imperial Highway that runs through Watts and south of the
> airport, but realize now that Pynchon was talking about  Imperial
> AVENUE in El Segundo, which uses a localized east/west designation.
> (local street runs parallel to the highway) Details.
>
> Had he meant the Highway, he would have written "off 'the' East
> Imperial."
> In Califonia dialect, the name and or number of a freeway, highway, or
> off ramp
> is always preceded by 'the.' Surface streets are articleless.
True but if you look up the address of the LAX Imperial Terminal it's
6601 WEST Imperial Highway (no 'the') which is why I was confused. It's
like a surface street in that respect (at least back in 1970). Lined
with motels and such. I preferred to take it  from the airport to
Pasadena so I wouldn't have to immediately plunge onto a freeway in the
dark of night. (coming from East Coast to make periodic visits to an
aging Mom and Dad) Lined with motels and restaurants.  The route was
discouraged by the car rental people--too close to Watts, etc. Was fired
upon a couple times but what the hey.

I think most people would describe Doc's work place as being on East
Imperial EL SEGUNDO, near the airport. Those little towns not part of
L.A. are pretty much a place of their own. Except where they aren't.

I once worked in El Segundo, building Navy dive bombers. An adventure
similar to Pynchon's up at Boeing. Don't tell Doug, though. Those old
crates we slapped together won the Battle of Midway.

Cheers.

PS--But correct me again if I'm totally out to lunch.

:-)