Re. Noir Classics

Carvill John johncarvill at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 9 10:03:48 CDT 2009

> Ya Sam:

> Hey, folks, which noir novels would you recommend as the best representatives of the genre?

All of Raymond Chandler, particularly The Big Sleep, Farewell My Lovely, and The Long Goodbye.

Some people (including quite a few p-listers) prefer Dashiell Hammett, and I certainly enjoyed all his books, especially The Maltese Falcon and Red Harvest. God forbid another row starts here, but I much prefer Chandler. Maybe some p-listers find Chandler too stylized? Hammett's prose is drier, sparser, more matter of fact. I like Chandler's humour.

Ross MacDonald's Lew Archer stories are much admired, and I would not be the first on this list to point out their relevance here. I admit to having had one of MacDonald's books somewhere on my shelves for several years - The Blue Hammer, I think - but not having got round to reading it yet. Those who have seem to really like it though.