CofL49 Company sing-along

Michael Bailey michael.lee.bailey at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 21:09:44 CDT 2009

IBM songbook
http://www.users.cloud9.net/%7Ebradmcc/ibmsongbook.html

really really existed...they really really sang those songs:

IBM COUNTRY CLUB SONG
by Miss Viola M. Lee, Associate Member, IBM Country Club
(Sung to the tune of "Annie Lisle," the Cornell Alma Mater)

Verse:

'Twixt the Susquehanna River,
and the hills so green:
Stands the Club House white and shining,
Fairest ever seen.
Fields for sport and lawns for playgrounds
Games when days are gray,
Many hours of healthful pleasure
Found there day by day.

Chorus:
Thanks we give to our great leader
And we sing with vim,
"Hail to Mr. T.J. Watson
And the IBM."

shades of the paternalism of some factory owners, who built towns with
libraries and amenities for their workers...which is actually kinda
nice...

friend of my dad's from college who went into IBM, I remember visiting
him with my Dad back in, oh, the early 90s or so.  As a retirement
project, he was building a subdivision. Just sayin' that team spirit
did have some payoffs...

Mark Kohut wrote:

> p. 83 "To the tune of Cornell's alma mater"-----a bit of TRP self-criticism about his own role at Boeing? A--and, a first note in OBA's
> later constant linking of the best universities with.....the military-industrial complex and, in ATd, with more...

well, the spin I'm taken with is the contrast to the Paranoids' song
about the beach, lying on the beach, and the night creeping up and
swallowing everything.  Your Dionysians and your Apollonians, I guess?
 (tho for Oedipa, neither one grabs her very palpably, if anything
she's more in tune with the Paranoids at least to hang with awhile)

a-and the tune is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VI3x1w1C4Y
which sounds, um, a little bit like every alma mater I've ever heard...

--
"...no matter what you did to its edges the true Pacific stayed
inviolate and integrated or assumed the ugliness at any edge into some