IVIV (12): Yakkin' Broads
kelber at mindspring.com
kelber at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 1 16:36:54 CST 2009
Not all women were lucky enough to sleep with men educated by feminist mothers. My own feminist mother warned me later in the decade that men tended to interpret "sexual liberation" as liberation from responsibility for pregnancy, assuming that because women had access to birth control and abortion, the responsibility rested solely on them. It wasn't about holding out for marriage -- she just felt there was no reason to give a guy a gift he hadn't earned. Her advice: birth control is the man's responsibility, so never sleep with a man who doesn't offer to supply his own condoms. I think it took the AIDS epidemic to make more men see it her way.
Laura
-----Original Message-----
>From: Robin Landseadel <robinlandseadel at comcast.net>
>Sent: Nov 1, 2009 12:49 PM
>To: pynchon-l at waste.org
>Subject: Re: IVIV (12): Yakkin' Broads
>
>On Nov 1, 2009, at 9:36 AM, kelber at mindspring.com wrote:
>
>> Do we really believe that in the back seat of the car Denis is going
>> down on Jade, rather than vice versa?
>
> I do. I remember asking my hippie/freak mother what I should to to
>make the girls happy and that's precisely what she told me to do. Got
>that advice in 1972, same year that "Joy of Sex" came out. Pynchon, in
>part, is pointing to an historical shift in sexual politics.
More information about the Pynchon-l
mailing list