[np] Bolano

rich richard.romeo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 09:51:38 CDT 2009

I had no prob w/ pacing or the lack of a message--the bit with the
intellectuals and who's fucking who was boring and I thought the
German sections weak
the balls of that book is Cuidad Juarez and the clinical nature of the
bit about the murders doesn't detract from the oppressive evil Bolano
evokes which he also does with the Black writer and crazy homo dad and
daughter sections which are a fabulous bit of paranoiac literature
(reading alot the press reports coming out of Mexico I think Bolano
really nails it)
any large book is gonna have boring bits of course
my main complaint is Bolano is not a subtle writer stylistically (at
least as it appears in English)--he's not a poet tho he writes alot
about poets. now maybe something is lost in translation
this is a totally subjective view but compared to say Fuentes Terra
Nostra and the work of Fernando del Paso, his writing seems thin.
Bolano is all action and energy. sometimes you want him to slow down
pleasurable is a tough word to describe what I like about 2666 (and
for that matter much of GR)--its depressing, brutal, and sad but
that's what I like about it

rich