NP Misc.. ON SHAKESPEARE. Re: IV: Coyly, he asks: Did this come up about Coy during our read?

Mark Kohut markekohut at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 10 12:29:53 CDT 2010

Wonderful fulness David sends; wonderful stuff...I hope he did not have to type
it all!

Here's the misc. Decades ago, in my twenties, when I was working very hard and
otherwise caught up in life
I had little time to really read....so I decided let it be some Shakespeare, so
I read in fits and starts, even
for a time, it took a long time. memorizing (many of) the sonnets......

I read the usual footnotes to 'get' the Elizabethan words and
allusions.........................

Now, rereading some Shakespeare, including those sonnets, there has of course
been half-a-lifetime
of Shakespearean scholarship......most of which I am not going after BUT here is
how some "scholarship'
comes at one that seems so FINE.............................................

Seems that the Arden editors have sourced about every word .......and for THE
SONNETS say,

new hidden meanings are not found [unlike TRP, sometimes], and the sonnets are
not hard to get on the surface BUT.............................

They show how Shakespeare's language was so connected to resonant--what Empson
called

'ambiguous''--internal meanings. When Shake could have chosen one word, the one
he chose, when sourced,
usually shimmered with overtones and undertones of meaning relating to other
words or Shake's metaphors
......................and within his own other work....

Amazing.