P defends V. ...

Mark Kohut markekohut at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 12:07:33 CDT 2010

Robin writes:
"I'm going to throw out a despicable theory—find a passive-voiced central figure
in a Pynchon novel, look for echos of the author. Zoyd, Slothrop, Benny, Doc,
Mucho Maas."

NOT despicable at all.....but a pattern-finding GRAND UNIFIED FIELD THEORY, so

And when you write "echoes", you have not gone too far.......

From Shakespeare thru Joyce to T.S. Eliot---who famously said his poems had none
of himself in them......(although at least one reader who knew him
said......The Wasteland is not about Modern Civilization.....it's about his
marriage....).....the best readers try to find where in the text IS the author,