ATD and ghosts/thanatoids

Ian Livingston igrlivingston at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 22:50:18 CST 2010

I have had the pleasure of working closely with Buddhists over a
period of about 5 years. That hardly qualifies as the merest
introduction to Buddhist thought, but I arrived at a translative term
for karma with which the Buddhists seemed generally amenable. Maybe
they were just humoring me, but the English term that they seemed to
like okay was impetus. We generate impetus by our thoughts and actions
that carries a predisposing influence on later thoughts and actions.
Because experience is shaped by interdependent origination, what we
bring to each moment effectively shapes each situation. Essentially,
we find what we look for, what we generate in our expectations.
Solutions arise where there is room for them to do so, conflict the
same. Syzygy, antagonism, fascination, love, condemnation, these are
our own creations. Impetus out of control is a juggernaut, for
examples of which we need not look far. D.L. helps guide Takeshi to a
practice of generating a force of impetus he could not otherwise have
discovered and a solution arises, as does syzygy, love. It is
certainly an interesting sub-plot. I look forward to my next re-read.
It has already been too long, but I am busy now exploring the depths
of another "not so great" novel.

--
"liber enim librum aperit."