V2nd - weird diacritical mark / book 'em Danno
Michael Bailey
michael.lee.bailey at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 21:52:16 CST 2011
alice wellintown wrote:
>> some kind of an accent on the name of Office Jones (p404) - so it
>> would be, Officer Ho-ness?
>
> Does the hacek do that? I suspect that P wanted it for at least two
> reaons. One, the proliforation of v marks in the text. Two, for the
> pronunciation. But as slick as young P is, he fakes everyone out with
> this one. Only he can get the joak. Do we know enough to determine how
> we should pronounce Jones plus the hacak over the "s"? We don't. Your
> guess is probably correct, but it's not the diacritical mark that
> convinces me but the author's penchant for scatalogicals and barg bags
> full of corn.
>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacek
I guess it would be more, "Ho-nezh" maybe? Or "Yo-nezh" or "yo-nesh"?
Interesting mark, anyway. And, wow, of course the V shape, of course
I didn't notice that - thanks!
--
"Why must I be like that? Why must I chase the cat?" - George Clinton,
Atomic Dog
More information about the Pynchon-l
mailing list