GR translation: And when the mice run down...

Mike Jing mikezjing at hotmail.com
Tue May 31 02:29:07 CDT 2011

P38.9-10  And when the mice run down, who knows tonight but what they've run for good?

Again, my problem has more to do with grammar than with interpretation.  I don't know how to parse the second part of the sentence.  Is it like "who knows but them?" and if so, what is "what they've run for good" then?  Or is it like "who knows what they've run for good?", but then what is "but" doing there?  In any case, "what they've run for good" doesn't make much sense to me at all.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mike