OccupyWallStreet

Costas Stergiou gorgonos at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 22:33:43 CDT 2011

Hi everybocy,

 For anyone interested, I suggest they look up the Open Democracy movement
here <http://amesi-dimokratia.org/en> (better known through media as
"Indignants" movement), though movement doesn't really describe the
situation. Also, the original spanish Indignados movement. Of course,
Europe's problem are not the same with those of US, but the base of the
problems, as also the basic principles of all these movements, are about the
same. Your discussion and the points made by all sides of the above argument
reminds me of discussions made in Greece constantly over the past year. The
protests over here are more massive (as are the problems I guess), there was
one about three months ago when, just in Athens, the estimates for the
number of protesters were (exaggerating of course, but not much) as high as
500.000 people.

     I particularly relate with Laura's report. Though coming from a
staggeringly unlike background and having experiences as different as about
3 decades age difference and one being from USA and the other from Greece
can allow, the text could have been written (excluding the obvious) for the
protests in Syntagma Square. I completely share her optimistic views, having
acquired the same uplifting emotional boost from these peaceful (at least
before the greek police intervenes using, traditionally, tear gas)
gatherings. In her epilogue Laura articulates (much better than I ever
could) exactly my thoughts on what's happening and it's sure reassuring and
invigorating for younger people like me (I'm 29 by the way) to see others,
that have protested, fought and anguished for these matters for more time
than I've even been on this planet, retain their optimism, clear head and
enthusiasm for change and improvement.

      Thank you,

     Costas