(np but of the essence) plain(text)song
Michael Bailey
michael.lee.bailey at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 08:00:03 CST 2012
I copied your post from the archive and this (see below) is how it's
saved... -- the first part is great but at the bottom there's this
huge mass of markup language...
it's a lot better than some, which have nothing but the crufted portion!
In Open Office writer, if you "save as..." a box opens up with two
"choice boxes", one for filename and one for file type.
the default file type is .odf but if you click on the arrow next to
that choice box, and choose "text - .txt" that will save it in plain
text.
John Krafft, a luminary of the list, and one of the producers of
Pynchon Notes, http://www.ham.muohio.edu/~krafftjm/pynchon.html relies
on the digest because of accessibility issues, and every so often
mentions the difficulty non-plain-text posts cause him.
From: Bled Welder <bledwelder@[omitted]>
To: <michael.lee.bailey@[omitted]>, <pynchon-l@[omitted]>
Subject: RE: (np but of the essence) plain(text)song
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 06:54:11 -0600
--_53bf0ad9-2da8-4c09-ba44-4f95c2a037e5_
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Thanks for this information. I'll attempt to adapt in an appropriate fashi=
on. The last thing I want to do is write or respond on here in some disten=
ded elliptical hyperfancytextual format that wait now look at this here I g=
o shooting way off to the end of the page okay now I'm back and by now to t=
he middle of the page and now then out to the far side of this line again f=
ull stop.
On my last post and a couple recent others I first wrote it offline on Open=
Office Writer because that's where my keyboard happened to be then pasted =
it over here in time=2C perhaps that's what caused an autotoggle problem.
Or is that what I'm in now=2C is this an autotoggle? This unwanted shootin=
g out to the perimeters
before
a proper
going to the next line? I'm not fond of it. But I am willing to learn to =
love it--
> Date: Mon=2C 27 Feb 2012 03:59:19 -0500
> Subject: (np but of the essence) plain(text)song
> From: michael.lee.bailey@[omitted]
> To: pynchon-l@[omitted]
>=20
> just noticed when I responded to someone who had rich text=2C my Gmail
> autotoggled me to rich text against my wishes
>=20
> darn Gmail!
>=20
> had to manually reset it...
>=20
> perhaps this is the source of others who occasionally lapse - anyone
> responding to me might have autotoggled=2C eg...
>=20
> Ms Gaze and Mr Welder especially - and other new folk - please note=2C
> plain text is the preferred format because our archive is only plain
> text capable
>=20
> the archive and digest are only readable to the extent people honor that!
=
--_53bf0ad9-2da8-4c09-ba44-4f95c2a037e5_
Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
<html>
<head>
<style><!--
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
<body class=3D'hmmessage'><div dir=3D'ltr'>
Thanks for this information.  =3BI'll attempt to adapt in an appropriat=
e fashion.  =3BThe last thing I want to do is write or respond on here =
in some distended elliptical hyperfancytextual format that wait now look at=
this here I go shooting way off to the end of the page okay now I'm back a=
nd by now to the middle of the page and now then out to the far side of thi=
s line again full stop.<div><br></div><div>On my last post and a couple rec=
ent others I first wrote it offline on Open Office Writer because that's wh=
ere my keyboard happened to be then pasted it over here in time=2C perhaps =
that's what caused an autotoggle problem.</div><div><br></div><div>Or is th=
at what I'm in now=2C is this an autotoggle?  =3BThis unwanted shooting=
out to the perimeters</div><div><br></div><div>before</div><div><br></div>=
<div>a proper</div><div><br></div><div>going to the next line?  =3BI'm =
not fond of it.  =3BBut I am willing to learn to love it--</div><div><b=
r></div><div><div><br><div><div id=3D"SkyDrivePlaceholder"></div>>=3B Dat=
e: Mon=2C 27 Feb 2012 03:59:19 -0500<br>>=3B Subject: (np but of the esse=
nce) plain(text)song<br>>=3B From: michael.lee.bailey@[omitted]<br>>=3B=
To: pynchon-l@[omitted]<br>>=3B <br>>=3B just noticed when I responded=
to someone who had rich text=2C my Gmail<br>>=3B autotoggled me to rich =
text against my wishes<br>>=3B <br>>=3B darn Gmail!<br>>=3B <br>>=
=3B had to manually reset it...<br>>=3B <br>>=3B perhaps this is the so=
urce of others who occasionally lapse - anyone<br>>=3B responding to me m=
ight have autotoggled=2C eg...<br>>=3B <br>>=3B Ms Gaze and Mr Welder e=
specially - and other new folk - please note=2C<br>>=3B plain text is the=
preferred format because our archive is only plain<br>>=3B text capable<=
br>>=3B <br>>=3B the archive and digest are only readable to the extent=
people honor that!<br></div></div></div> </div></body>
</html>=
--_53bf0ad9-2da8-4c09-ba44-4f95c2a037e5_--
On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Bled Welder <bledwelder at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for this information. I'll attempt to adapt in an appropriate
> fashion. The last thing I want to do is write or respond on here in some
> distended elliptical hyperfancytextual format that wait now look at this
> here I go shooting way off to the end of the page okay now I'm back and by
> now to the middle of the page and now then out to the far side of this line
> again full stop.
>
> On my last post and a couple recent others I first wrote it offline on Open
> Office Writer because that's where my keyboard happened to be then pasted it
> over here in time, perhaps that's what caused an autotoggle problem.
>
> Or is that what I'm in now, is this an autotoggle? This unwanted shooting
> out to the perimeters
>
> before
>
> a proper
>
> going to the next line? I'm not fond of it. But I am willing to learn to
> love it--
>
>
>> Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 03:59:19 -0500
>> Subject: (np but of the essence) plain(text)song
>> From: michael.lee.bailey at gmail.com
>> To: pynchon-l at waste.org
>
>>
>> just noticed when I responded to someone who had rich text, my Gmail
>> autotoggled me to rich text against my wishes
>>
>> darn Gmail!
>>
>> had to manually reset it...
>>
>> perhaps this is the source of others who occasionally lapse - anyone
>> responding to me might have autotoggled, eg...
>>
>> Ms Gaze and Mr Welder especially - and other new folk - please note,
>> plain text is the preferred format because our archive is only plain
>> text capable
>>
>> the archive and digest are only readable to the extent people honor that!
--
"Strength you will acquire naturally, if you do plenty of work; and
dexterity you will acquire unconsciously with practice; but style you
can only acquire by constant attention, and then only if you have a
clear idea of what to aim at." - A. F. Jenkin
More information about the Pynchon-l
mailing list