photographic degradtion (sodomize)

Michael Bailey michael.lee.bailey at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 20:21:29 CST 2012

 alice wellintown  wrote:
> sodomize (v.) 1868; see sodomy + -ize. Related: Sodomized; sodomizing.
> In Dutch slang, besodemieteren means "to deceive," and evidently is
> built from the traditional notion of "corruption" in Sodom.

thanks for this!  Vibe doesn't usually go in for the type of vulgarity
that I was reading it as -- he's comfortable with violent metaphors,
religious cussing and so forth, and i could imagine him stooping to
barnyard excrement expletives, but to use a morphoditic metaphor to
describe his class's treatment of employees --

a treatment he approves of --

while echoing the phraseology common today (a very clean-cut young
gentleman in a programming class i hopefully took a few years ago,
describing his summer job on a construction project to an adult lady
wearing a dress, in casual talk before the lecture, said - "I was
basically their bitch" - which, i dunno, wow, doesn't that have
overtones of like, them mounting you and so forth...and this mention
has become all kinds of common in many settings - am i a prude (well,
yeah, a bit!)) - still Vibe probably meant the meaning you shared
here...although - i think you are suggesting - Pynchon expects us to
associate it with current parlance as well...

what you've done, is restore that meaning as a secondary meaning for
me, and render Vibe's speech (though you yourself may not hear it) all
the more plausible for me!  thanks again!

(similarly, saying out loud in 6th grade or so a word I'd only read,
"hoary" (to indicate antiquated, motheaten, obsolete, touched with
hoarfrost, etc) got me some unwanted laughs and it was all I could do
to keep myself from thinking of my friends as uncouth)

I was sodomized by Vibe's hoary speech patterns

--
- where the bee sucks, there suck I