The Master (2012)

Paul Mackin mackin.paul at verizon.net
Sat Sep 22 11:54:04 CDT 2012

On 9/22/2012 5:02 AM, Phillip Greenlief wrote:
> saw it tonight ... i can see why it has stumped the critics. the
> joaquin phoenix performance is the thing that sticks out as most
> impressive. the storytelling is more THERE WILL BE BLOOD than
> MAGNOLIA, and you can see anderson's interest in characters that forge
> culture and history. the film is odd though, in perhaps a good way,
> because on the surface there is a remoteness in terms of anderson's
> feelings about his subject. you walk out not really feeling like there
> was a point it all. i think it will take another viewing before i'm
> able to say anything intelligent about it.

I most care about seeing how it evokes the early L.A. postwar time. My
coming of age personal contact with cults--Dianetics and
Rosicrucianism--was limited (went to a few pool parties) and neither of
these two was any match for what later was to come down the pike.  It
was just that a new future had arrived. I knew some pretty screwed up
vets but nothing to approach Joaquin Phoenix's character.