Techno Redemption (WAS Re: M&D c50 The Golem)

alice wellintown alicewellintown at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 04:26:24 CDT 2013

A bad habit. To get the attention of her readers this scholar employs the
common hook, a claim that isn't total BS but one that does not square with
the truth. Is she ignorant of the truth? Perhaps. More likely, she has
developed the habit too common in scholarship today, she has introduced a
fine hyperbole, fine in the sense that she is splitting hairs. While she
provides history, she ignores the obvious, that is, as you note here P, the
competition from every special area of study, along with the major trends
after the 1960s, from feminism, to cultural studies, to hyphenated-American
studies from an ever expanding pluralism, made the study of technics a
minor, not major focus.