Guarding the Wall: tunnels, bridges and tendrils

bandwraith at aol.com bandwraith at aol.com
Sun Apr 21 15:04:08 CDT 2013

I will agree that I'd rather be reading and discussing Lakatos, Polanyi, Feyerabend, Kuhn, Popper, etc., but DC and company seem to be more topical.
What can we do? Admit that Quantum Mechanics is unsettling. It disturbs common sense notions of causality and reality and does not replace them with anything but more uncertainty. And in the same breath- people need more than that. And especially now, they should have it. "Brainfarts" and "throwing out the trash," are not good enough, which doesn't mean that I agree with Chopra.

In the case of Oz- he was a great cardiac surgeon. I'm not sure if he's still operating. I never watch him on t.v.- but I do recall him addressing issues that would certainly qualify as "crack pot." It should be noted that cardiac sugery may involve cutting and blood, but is not necessarily on the cusp of theoretical science. His surgical skill gave him a platform. That said, he didn't need the money and the comments I heard were pre-Oprah.

Here's something- Quantum Mechanics is hugely important, right now, and for our future. Science and technology, in general, are absolutely essential for our continuued existence. If you disagree with these notions, please explain why and provide alternative scenarios. Given these realities, would you rather have the majority of people, who will never be able to understand QM, etc., on your level, hating QM and the wonders of modern technology, or, embracing them, with the hope that they may help us to ease suffering, solve the energy crisis, maybe allow us to live in a sustainable and generally peaceful world? Chopra, et. al., may be spinning faerie tails, but they are supplying a need which you may have turned your back on, and in a way which will not be immune from correction as the evidence roles in.