science, magic, madness

alice wellintown alicewellintown at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 04:51:11 CDT 2013

Paul Hazard’s magisterial, widely influential, and beloved intellectual
history offers an unforgettable account of the birth of the modern European
mind in all its dynamic, inquiring, and uncertain glory. Beginning his
story in the latter half of the seventeenth century, while also looking
back to the Renaissance and forward to the future, Hazard traces the
process by which new developments in the sciences, arts, philosophy, and
philology came to undermine the stable foundations of the classical world,
with its commitment to tradition, stability, proportion, and settled usage.
Hazard shows how travelers’ tales and archaeological investigation widened
European awareness and acceptance of cultural difference; how the radical
rationalism of Spinoza and Richard Simon’s new historical exegesis of the
Bible called into question the revealed truths of religion; how the
Huguenot Pierre Bayle’s critical dictionary of ideas paved the way for
Voltaire and the Enlightenment, even as the empiricism of Locke encouraged
a new attention to sensory experience that led to Rousseau and romanticism.
Hazard’s range of knowledge is vast, and whether the subject is operas,
excavations, or scientific experiments his brilliant style and powers of
description bring to life the thinkers who thought up the modern world.
*The Crisis of the European Mind* is the NYRB Classics Book Club selection
for April 2013.

http://www.nybooks.com/books/imprints/classics/the-crisis-of-the-european-mind/

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 5:48 AM, alice wellintown <alicewellintown at gmail.com