science, magic, madness

malignd at aol.com malignd at aol.com
Tue Apr 23 16:25:03 CDT 2013

Would that theologians think as clearly as you.  Do you think that Aquinas's arguments for the existence of God were open-ended explorations?

If theology is an explaination or an apology for a preordained conclusion then it can't be an argument, right?
What I mainly mean about theology -- and Terry Eagleton made a similar point about Dawkins as yours -- is that the idea of a supernatural deity who created the universe and listens to each and everyone's prayers and for which there is not a shred of evidence, is the two thousand year old idea of a primitive, superstitious people that is somehow treated as a special case, different from, say, leprechauns.  Applying weighty thinking to such a notion does nothing toward making it anything other than that.  Dawkins is not remiss in ignoring theological posturing.