Literature is still powerful stuff

Matthew Cissell macissell at yahoo.es
Thu Apr 25 03:53:23 CDT 2013

Rich,

You say that literature is nothing, surely you can't mean this, otherwise why would you be here commenting on literature. Literarture may be a cultural product and all the pomp and play that surround it no more than one of the games we play, but make no mistake, literature is powerful stuff. Ask Rushdie, go ask Orwell's ghost. You don't think Tom Clancy novels are as important as western movies for understanding a certain segment of U.S ideology? Do you think Ernst Jünger's 1924 edition of Storms of Steel didn't contribute to the rise of german fascism as much as economics and other factors?

As for Wood's attempt to distinguish between the good and the bad, and convince us of that distinction, he is only doing what he must to establish his position and garner the capital and prestige that will make him a dominant agent within the dominated section of the social field. OF course he doesn't recognise it as such, but who does?

Envy him? Well, the job doesn't sound bad, but no I don't envy him. Have you read his essay on Harold Bloom? Jimmy didn't learn from Harold. Like that elder critic, whom Wood aims to dethrone, Wood wrote a book that apparently made him look like he didn't know so much about what makes good literature; I bet he wishes he could make that book disappear sometimes, just like Bloom. The danger of critics trying to write fiction.