M&D preambulatory profferings

Heikki R situations.journeys.comedy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 10:54:59 CST 2015

I majored in what translates into English as "General Literature" (sigh).
It's not Comparative Literature, actually, as you are not really required
to know one or more foreign languages.

Anyway, I took some courses on 18th Cent Lit too. Read quite a lot from
that century: Swift, Sterne, Smollett etc from the British Isles, as well
as writers from the continent. (And also, say, Rabelais, Cervantes,
Melville and Flaubert's Bouvard and Pecuchet from other centuries.)

So, maybe due to the fact that I was somewhat familiar with those older
traditions, I got used to the form of M&D quickly. The form did strike me
as British. And yet, I found the tone and rhythm of the novel's narrative
voice quite American, having been surrounded by American English for a year
when M&D came out.

Heikki