"Cherrycoke" sounds a bit like a scrambled version of "Cherokee" to me.

David Morris fqmorris at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 07:43:32 CST 2015

United States[edit
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Coke_(fuel)&action=edit&section=4>
]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Coke_burning.jpg>
Illustration of coal mining and coke burning from 1879.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Coke-Ovens---Cokedale-CO.jpg>
Coal coking ovens at Cokedale, west of Trinidad, Colorado
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinidad,_Colorado>, supplied steel
mills in Pueblo,
Colorado <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pueblo,_Colorado>.

In the United States, the first use of coke in an iron furnace occurred
around 1817 at Isaac Meason's Plumsock puddling furnace and rolling mill in
Fayette County.[10]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coke_%28fuel%29#cite_note-10> In the late
19th century, the coalfields <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coalfield>
of western
Pennsylvania <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Pennsylvania> provided a
rich source of raw material for coking. In 1885, the Rochester and
Pittsburgh Coal and Iron Company[11]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coke_%28fuel%29#cite_note-11> constructed the
world's longest string of coke ovens in Walston, Pennsylvania, with 475
ovens over a length of 2 km (1.25 miles). Their output reached 22,000 tons
per month. TheMinersville Coke Ovens
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minersville_Coke_Ovens> in Huntingdon County,
Pennsylvania <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntingdon_County,_Pennsylvania>,
were listed on the National Register of Historic Places
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Register_of_Historic_Places> in 1991.
[12] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coke_%28fuel%29#cite_note-nris-12>

Between 1870 and 1905, the number of beehive ovens in the United States
skyrocketed from about 200 to almost 31,000, which produced nearly 18
million tons of coke in the Pittsburgh area alone.[13]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coke_%28fuel%29#cite_note-13> One observer
boasted that loaded into a train, “the year's production would make up a
train so long that the engine in front of it would go to San Francisco and
come back to Connellsville before the caboose had gotten started out of the
Connellsville yards!” The number of beehive ovens in Pittsburgh peaked in
1910 at almost 48,000.[14]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coke_%28fuel%29#cite_note-14>

Although they made a top-quality fuel, coking poisoned the surrounding
landscape. After 1900, the serious environmental damage of beehive coking
attracted national notice, even though the damage had plagued the district
for decades. “The smoke and gas from some ovens destroy all vegetation
around the small mining communities,” noted W. J. Lauck of the U.S.
Immigration Commission in 1911.[15]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coke_%28fuel%29#cite_note-Martin-15> Passing
through the region on train, University of Wisconsin president Charles van
Hise saw “long rows of beehive ovens from which flame is bursting and dense
clouds of smoke issuing, making the sky dark. By night the scene is
rendered indescribably vivid by these numerous burning pits. The beehive
ovens make the entire region of coke manufacture one of dulled sky:
cheerless and unhealthful." [15]