"Cherrycoke" sounds a bit like a scrambled version of "Cherokee" to me.

Joseph Tracy brook7 at sover.net
Sun Jan 11 20:00:12 CST 2015

Love all these thoughts on the name.

I was thinking about it from my perspective as a lousy-but-keeps-trying quaker with some sense of Friends culture,  and I  thought first of the obvious  sweet sugar drinks, both high caffeine and high alcohol that have always fueled our American selves and our economies.( coffee house scene in M&D, and slave, sugar, rum triangle). So anyway Cherry-Coke as an identity is rather the opposite of historic  Quaker aspiration to plain speech, avoidance of alcohol, avoidance of stimulants( The reverend mentions those as departing advice) . He exhibits some classic Friends ways like keeping a"spritual day book) but is also called Reverend which title is generally anathema to Friends.
The  other meanings of coke also suggested themselves and particularly the role of coke in making possible the age of industrial steel. Perhaps in that sense one could see the cherry as cherry-red (hot enough to melt iron)  and cheery which fits the reverend's style. So it makes a double image of sweet silly stories and fiery lies or truths to melt the raw materials of young listeners minds and shape the straight lines that are now dividing the planet. ( As iron sharpeneth iron, so sharpeneth a man the countenance of his friend....  Proverbs)

 So yes to unreliable narrator up to a point. But the story unfolds as a classic lie-to-tell-the-truth also, and while the religion of Friends fades from view, some of those moral ideas that shaped Friends history do not, and the reality of friendship (as opposed to Friends) comes into ever sharper relief and depth. All narrators are unreliable, our favorite lies revolve like uncatchable electrons around our pursuit of truth.

-
Pynchon-l / http://www.waste.org/mail/?list=pynchon-l