M&D Deep Duck: Section 4 summary

Becky Lindroos bekker2 at icloud.com
Mon Jan 19 13:11:42 CST 2015

England’s loss of control over the Channel was rare but when it happened it was ugly for awhile,  and England remembered.  The Channel is the easiest way to get down the west coast of Europe without going all the stormy way around the whole British Isles.  The southwest coast of England has much better coastline for landing and invading.

So-ooo,  historically,  first came the Celts (I think),  then the Romans,  then the Vikings, and then the French who all conquered England or parts of it - for awhile anyway.

But in the 11-14th centuries the England solidified and they and the French went back and forth at each other via the Channel vying for control of the parts (Normandy, Gascony, Brittany, more, and Scotland, ).  But they also battled for control of the Channel because that was the key.  Piracy and village raids were common in these centuries - piracy even partially sanctioned.

In 1588 the Spanish Armada hit the channel to be able to access Holland and there was swift and immediate reaction by the English via Sir Francis Drake and the weather.  This was remembered.

Between  1754 to 1763 the 7-Years War (fought for 9 years - heh) was fought and the French dearly wanted to seize the Channel because of the easy access to the ocean.  They actually thought it was a good idea to just invade and take over England in general.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_French_invasion_of_Britain_(1759)

The American French and Indian War kicked off the 7-Years War.  It was France against England for parts of North America.  Then France and her allies went up against England and her allies and they escalated everything until it was fought in Central Europe, Portugal, India, South America, and West Africa.

Mason & Dixon were out in that in 1761 - only 2 years after the French lost some major battle and decided not to actually attack England.

Btw, the value of the Channel has not changed - Napoleon wanted it badly, but was discouraged by losses elsewhere, because it’s not very wide.  The submarines of Germany in WWI tried (and failed) to use it and then tried to take the ports to the Channel (Flanders).  Also, because of the distance, airplanes (including bombers) could manage their way across the Channel.  Drones can probably do it now.

Bekah
with more than you wanted to know -